Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 14 ounce veggie broth
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup half and half cream* (leave out for a vegan soup!)
- 1/2 cup water*
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, bell pepper, carrot, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, until tender.
- In a blender, puree the beans until smooth. Pour into a large pot.
- Puree the sauteed vegetables with the veggie broth. Add to the pot.
- Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Mix in cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add water as desired to thin the soup, or leave as is.
- Garnish with cilantro, cheddar cheese, and/or sour cream as desired to serve.