What is distilled water?
Distilling water, at its essence, is just a form of water filtration. When water boils, it leaves behind heavier elements and impurities. The steam is then condensed and collected in a separate container.
How do you use distilled water?
I generally make distilled water to use in my humidifier and essential oil diffuser. It's not 100% necessary but definitely recommended for such uses!
You can buy distilled water in single-use bottles at the grocery store, but obviously that's not my jam - especially when it's so easy to make at home.
- Large pot with lid, or glass bowl that fits on top
- Smaller bowl that can float in pot
- Water and ice
- Fill the large pot with water about half way
- Set the small bowl into the water so that it floats in the middle of the pot
- Place the lid upside down (or the other bowl) on top of the pot so that it will drip water down into the bowl.
- Place ice into the lid to help condense the water faster.
- Turn on the heat and let the water boil until you have filed your smaller bowl